Goodbye 2016! Hello 2017!
What a year! 2016 was a series of shocking occurrences, and will probably go down as an infamous year for many. I think I’ve heard more bad news than ever throughout 2016, worldwide and in my own little bubble of family and friends. However, it is so easy for all the negativity of the year to take centre stage and surpass the times of happiness and success. So, I just want to take a moment to think about my favourite moments of 2016.
It was a pretty big year for me for several reasons:
- I was able to leave a job I was miserable doing and officially start one I completely and utterly love.
- I finished sixth form. Two years of working super hard at my A Levels came to an end in June, and I managed to achieve results that I am still so so proud of. Although at times I felt sixth form was sucking the life out of me, it was most definitely worth it! I made some very special friends, learnt a lot, and had some amazing opportunities.
- I turned 18. It felt like this day was never going to come, as my birthday is pretty late in the school year. But when it came, it was most definitely my most memorable birthday. I had SO much fun celebrating with my family and friends.
- I went to Barcelona. As I haven’t really travelled much, this was very exciting for me, and it was my first proper trip away without my family. Barcelona is such an incredible city, and I am desperate to go back!
- I started college in September doing an Art and Design foundation diploma. I went without knowing anyone or what to expect, and although I met some lovely people it made me realise that I have just had enough of being in a classroom environment. So I made a big (ish) decision to leave. This led me to buying a DSLR camera, which is something I have always wanted, and set up this blog. It also meant I could focus more on my job, and consequently I have had a lot more opportunities and experiences since leaving. I have definitely learnt A LOT in the past two months.
So 2016 hasn’t been all bad for me. It has definitely been a pivotal year in my life, and I think I have become a more confident person as a result, I have learnt not to worry so bloody much and just do what I am happy doing.
I am, however, so ready for 2017! I am so excited to go back to work, which is a change from dreading going back to school with exams looming around the corner. I want to completely embrace this year and make it one that I am in control of.
I don’t usually make New Year’s resolutions, as I feel you shouldn’t wait till a new year to better yourself. But I have got aims for this year that I am determined to stick to.
- I want to find my niche. I want to fill 2017 with creativity and experiment with new ideas. I don’t really know what this blog is, I don’t feel that I have a category, but I’m going to use it to record everything I make/visit/learn. Kind of like a virtual journal. If I manage to find my ‘niche’, something of my own, I would love to set up a little online shop, but one step at a time I guess!
- I want to film a couple of seconds of my day everyday. Now, I know this is something you’d easily start off doing and then completely forget about. But I really really want to stick to it and film a tiny snippet each day and then at the end of every month put them all together. I am setting it as a challenge to myself, and this time next year I want to have 12 monthly videos of 2017.
- On a similar note, my mum suggested the other day that I get a jar and each week write down one positive thing that has happened, so that the jar is full of happy memories. As I am so sentimental, I loved this idea! So this is something I am excited to do.
- Travel more. I want to see more of the UK, and go on little trips with my friends or family.
- Surround myself with the people who make me happy. I just want to have fun this year and so I don’t want to be worrying about people who don’t worry about me. It is time to not give one and just make the most of everything!
This time next year I hope that I can say I have achieved every one of my five aims. But ultimately, I want to make this year one of the best yet!
So all that is left to say is HAPPY NEW YEAR to every single one of you. I hope 2017 is full to the brim of laughter, success and happiness! BRNG IT ON!
Lots of love,